Thursday 8 August 2013

A little feathered encounter

Silvereye or Wax-eye







                
I saved a life today.  This little New Zealand native bird called the Silvereye or Wax-eye flew into the window and crash landed beside the pond.  I went outside and picked him up and held him until he got it all together again.  Then after a wee pep talk I put him on a branch out of cats way.  He kindly posed for some photos which was great because you can never get close enough to these super fast moving little birds.

They are smaller than a sparrow, about 12cm long, and move around in flocks.  Apparently they have a brush tipped tongue (although he wasn't up to showing me) and mainly eat insects, fruit and nectar.
  
I think he's just about over me now - looking bright eyed and ready to depart.


























He was soon on his way joining his group who were busy in the next tree.

Any day you make a difference is a good day!

Link to  Wild Bird Wednesday

13 comments:

  1. I think these birds are superb. We have them also here in Australia, and they flock through my suburban garden and bring me joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jocee
    I forgot to thank you for visiting my blog. I'll copy my reply here so you see it.

    Jocee, thanks for visiting my blog. I came across to yours and added it straight away to my Feedly, because i loved it. I'm looking forward to reading about your farm. I'm into sustainability in a big way, so I'll look forward to that aspect of your blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a tiny cutie! glad he recovered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beauty!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, so rare to get this close to them.

      Delete
  5. So cute! I'm happy he's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful little bird and I'm glad it recovered with your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, good to have a positive effect on nature.

      Delete
  7. Hi Joyce i am so glad this lovely liitle bird came to no harm. that secondshotos priceless. I havealways loved hen I saw it although very hard to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, I love the second shot - his thoughts seemed quite clear.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I love reading them and whenever possible, visiting you in return.